Thursday, June 20, 2013

Stuck with a chart design? Call the plumber!

My friend Jess, aka Ginger Twist, is opening her knitting shop. Actually, she has opened her shop TODAY!!! Exciting much? You better believe it...

I like to think that I am a good friend, so I happily offered a hand in sorting some things out for the wee shop. Like painting the outside, moving the stock of wool into the shop and also shelving the wool (I’d like to point out that I am an honest friend too, there was no cheeky skein or ball hidden in my pockets when I left. I promise!)

But also, I am having a go at knitting design for real. As in imagining a design, knit a sample, and nicely type and print the pattern and chart for other people’s use on the computer.
Ginger Twist Studio is selling this beautiful kid mohair, and I was very inspired to make a cowl with it. A cowl with stars. Like a woolly constellation.

Working on the design for the colour chart, my inner geek’s little voice in my head whispered this amazing idea...



Isn’t it so obvious!!! Getting hold of old school Super Mario imagery, I easily transcript the pixel art of the star sprite into my chart. (I do emphasize that it is not a copy and paste of the existing pixel art, it has been amended for my design’s purpose)

I am now in the process of knitting the chart. I am nearly halfway through, and really really pleased with it so far. What do you think?...




I expect the cowl and pattern (which I will name Stellar, after realising that my first choice of name is somewhat unpronounceable) to be on show at Ginger Twist Studio in a couple of weeks. A week to finish the sample, and a week to come to grips with computer programs for the pattern! I’ll keep you posted...

2 comments:

  1. The shop looks like it's going to be LOVELY! And I'm excited for your pattern, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dianna! These are exiting times indeed...
    I need to find the time to send you an email, heaps to tell you. xxx

    ReplyDelete